Let's Talk at Home
What is it?
For an overview of the course content, please click here.
Let's Talk at Home is an exciting new very practical Elklan programme which runs for six weeks. Parents and carers are invited to attend with their child for one hour a week and be coached in simple but highly effective strategies to develop their child's listening, attention and communication skills.
The six sessions cover:
Session 1: Getting to know you
Session 2: Developing interaction
Session 3: Developing vocabulary
Session 4: Developing talking
Session 5: Sharing books
Session 6: Celebrating success
Each session will follow a similar format:
- Hello Time: Settling and Hello song
- You will be given a 'Talking Tip' to use straight away with your child.
- Play Time: You will engage in an activity of your child's choice from a range of suitable resources. The Let's Talk at Home tutor will coach you in how to implement the Talking Tip in a number of play activities. It will be fun and engaging.
- Home Time:
- You and your child will make a -Take Home- token to help you remember the Talking Tip.
- Parent pledge: you will be given a postcard with the visual reminder of the Talking Tip. This is used to encourage you to choose an everyday routine when/where you can use the 'Talking Tip'. The more you practise the 'Talking Tip' in a variety of situations the more you will remember to use it!
- Song Time
How is it delivered?
This programme may be delivered by parents and practitioners in your child's setting soon! Settings can choose to participate in the delivery of this programme, so it may not be available at all.
Are you interested in finding out about how to support your child's speech, language and communication development? Then talk to your child's setting about a very special offer that is available for a limited time only (eligible Derby settings only). A very practical 6 x 1 hour a week course is available for FREE if your child's setting wants to participate. All the setting needs to do is to find 9 other parents who are keen to do this, a room to work in and one member of staff who would like to be trained to deliver it. A specially trained Elklan tutor will then come along to do the rest! Settings can combine to make the numbers up to 10 and take part in this exciting opportunity. Setting staff to email email@example.com to register interest in this opportunity.
Parent Tutors: Let's Talk at Home
Do you have an interest in understanding how speech and language develops and want to support others to help their children achieve these skills? Does your child go to a setting which is able to take part in TALK Derby training? If yes, you are invited to become a Parent Tutor on the 'Let's Talk at Home' course. Once trained you will support an Early Years practitioner in your child's setting to deliver 'Let's Talk at Home' to other parents.
How do I become a Let's Talk at Home tutor?
- Complete the Level 1 accredited course, 'Let's Talk with Under 5s' with your Early Years practitioner. For further information about Let's Talk with Under 5s, click here.
- To register your interest in becoming a Let's Talk at Home tutor email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do other parents say?
"Have definitely noticed a change since using some of the techniques"
"I have really enjoyed this course and now feel more confident when talking to and understanding my child"
Settings delivering the programme
Below is a list of settings currently delivering 'Let's Talk at Home'. Please contact your child's setting for further information and to book your place/register your interest.
There are currently no settings delivering this training. Keep checking the page for updates!