Speech & Language Support for 3-5s
What is it?
Elklan's evidence-based Speech and Language Support for 3-5s is a highly successful externally accredited training course which equips staff to develop key communication skills in children proved to ensure later success in school. This is the only accredited training in speech, language and communication that is aimed specifically at those working with 3-5s.
This course is also suitable for staff supporting children with English as an additional language. It has helped many staff in nurseries, Children's Centres and private, voluntary and independent (PVI) settings maximise children's communication potential and access the curriculum more effectively.
What does the training involve?
For an overview of the course content, please click here.
This practical training course will:
- Build confidence and skills to support the communication and language development of ALL children aged 3-5s years but especially those with speech and language difficulties
- Give practical advice and strategies to support parents and families with whom you work
- Provide settings with a highly skilled workforce to help narrow the gap and improve the life chances of young children
- Upon successful completion, provide an externally verified and accredited level 3 award
Who should attend?
This training is suitable for early years practitioners who work with young children (aged 3-5 years old) who wish to develop key communication skills in children. Learners must also be able to meet the requirements below.
All learners who wish to achieve this Award MUST commit to:
- Attending each session. Exceptional absences can be managed.
- Completing a level 3 portfolio of evidence, this will involve observation of children, reflecting on practice and writing an e-portfolio.
- Submitting the learning log (which must be completed to gain accreditation) in a timely fashion within the time frames set by the tutor.
How is it delivered?
Through TALK Derby, this course will be offered in the following formats:
- Two hours a week for ten weeks (sessions will be during the working day)
- Four hours a week once a fortnight (sessions will be during the working day)
- Three full days, delivered one day a month for three months
The course uses interactive teaching methods, practical activities, videos and group discussion.
How much will it cost?
If you are in one of the 8 priority wards in Derby, then this training is being delivered free of charge. Training Attendance Allowance is available to provide some compensation for the time you will take to attend this session. Click here to apply
What do other learners say?
"My FS2 Lead has just returned having had this training and she is so inspired and excited by this high-quality CPD" - Manager, Derby
"I've really enjoyed this course. It's been very informative, well delivered and it's all very setting friendly" - Early Years practitioner, Derby
Where does this training lead?
As well as strengthening you skills and knowledge in support for speech and language, you can go to add a half-day workshop later so that you can deliver the practical course for parents if you would like. In addition, you can use this course to deliver a five-session course to other practitioners in your setting, work towards achieving a level 4 accreditation and becoming a Communication Friendly Setting.
Do you have a question?
If so, please either use the contact form on this website, email email@example.com or call 01208 841450.