TALK Derby is all about inspiring and encouraging you as parents to help your children develop as they should. It’s something that benefits us all – in families, communities, education and work.
Simple, relevant and genuinely two-way conversations with your children help to build their understanding and communications skills. This makes them more confident in their ability to express feelings and ideas – broadening the range of words they know and use and setting them up for better futures.
There’s a wealth of videos, materials and other guidance which you can access here.
TALK Derby delivers training sessions to those parents/carers who wish to be coached in strategies to develop their child's listening, attention and communication skills.
We hope that there will be sessions available soon for you and your child to attend.
Pledge your support
We’re asking the people of Derby to make a conscious commitment to “Like to TALK Derby” – spending more time talking and listening to the children in their lives, and encouraging others to do the same, by:
- Talking together over mealtimes
- Interacting during play
- Sharing and reading stories
- Listening to children and responding
- Asking and answering questions
Why does speech, language and communication matter?
Most brain growth happens in the first three years of life. The overwhelming evidence shows speech, language and communication skills at a very young age can have a major lasting impact later in life:
- A child’s ability to do well at school and get a good job is directly influenced by their language and vocabulary at the age of five
- The quality of conversations at eighteen to twenty-four months affects school progress as long as ten years later
- Good language at seven leads to better friendships at sixteen
- An ability to express feelings effectively improves mental health resilience